LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WG-

2D Array merge, give option to merge by column or row

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Currently the 'array build' gives you only the option to merge by rows. If you want to merge by column you first need to transpose the two (or more) input arrays then merge them and then transpose the array again. See VI example attachted. I think this should be changed because it gives a overhead on transpose VI's on your diagram. Therefore I suggest that the 'array build' block gets a option where you can select to merge on columns or rows when a 2D array is used as input.

Array Merge Row Column.png

5 Comments
fdinoff

Doesn't Insert into array already do this?

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Although I agree with the idea, I will say that today's workaround isn't bad... Transpose Array is a constant time operation. It's overhead is pretty trivial.

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

> Doesn't Insert into array already do this?

Build Matrix gives you the option to Add columns or rows, it's pretty sweet.  Performance-wise I try to append rows and transpose at the end as much as possible.  Easy to wire up does not always mean it is the most efficient.

WG-

Oh yes I see now that "Build matrix" gives you that option... but alas that does only work for double-datatype. But well it shouldn't be to hard for NI to change the xnode of that VI to work with all datatypes 😉

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.