LabVIEW FPGA Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ePower-ahp

"Adapt to Source" in "FPGA VI Reference" indicator

When you are using same code on different boards, it would be a big help if you could set the "FPGA VI Reference" indicator as "Adapt to source". When I use dirrerent DMA on different target, then the wire break every time I change target:

My FGV for the FPGA reference looks like:

FPGA ref Adapt to source.png

3 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

As an alternative, you can upcast your FPGA references to a common prototype.  Of course, this assumes that you have the same DMAs and Front Panel interfaces on the FPGAs.  But I have done this and it works wonderfully.  I have one system that has to support 15 different FPGAs and I do it all with just a handful of VIs.

But you are talking about different targets.  That is a different beast.  So nevermind.  Kudos!

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Intaris
Proven Zealot

You can set the indicator to a typedef and then in the "open bitfile" configuration you can link the bitfile to the typedef, meaning that the typedef will always remain in sync with the API for the bitfile in question.

You seem to want the same functionality but without the ACTUAL ctl file not being required, simply linked to the output terminal?

You could achieve the same thing by simply declaring the output terminal of your FGV as a typedef.  This is assuming you dont have the FGV open on more than one target somultaneously which would obviously cause conflicts.

But in all, I would be a supporter of this general idea which I would personally expand far beyond FPGA....

ePower-ahp

Yes I see both your workaorunds. But I will still keep the idea, because as I see them then I need to do some manual work to update the FGV (typedefs or other), when I forexample add some front panel items or DMA on the development target.

If I had the open FPGA and all the Read/write notes in the same VI, it would not have been a problem, the problem comes because I want to access the FPGA in different VI's.

As I see it one of the big advantages with Labview is when you have an idea, or want to test something you can just do it, and LabVIEW take care of the monoton programming work and that it is allowed what I do. Here I think this idea could make the programming more flexible.