LabVIEW FPGA Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrew_P

Multiplexed inputs/outsputs to High-Throughput math functions to conserve resources on FPGA

I posted this suggestion in the forums, but it is something I would like to see improved and included in the FPGA library. The idea is to multiplex multiple inputs/outputs to a single high-throughput math function. If someone has to do a lot of fixed point math on the FPGA, the resources are used up quickly. The multiply block is primarily what I would like to see this implemented for, but I think it would be useful with all of the high-throughput math functions.

In one project I quickly ran out of DSP48E's on my FPGA, and since I had many fixed-point multiplies with the same data type configuration, I created a state machine to step through the inputs, allowing me to replace 4 high-throughput multiplies with one multiply block for multiple operations. Sequential operations are possible by feeding the output of one operation into the input of another (I didn't implement that in the forum post below, but it can be done). I think Labview could improve pipelining of the multiplexed function, ease of setting the number of inputs/outputs and data-type, hand-shaking logic for operation in SCTL, etc. LabVIEW could also show separate schematic figures for each of the multiplexed functions (example: a PCB layout software such as Eagle shows separate blocks on the schematic for each opamp on a chip containing multiple opamps).

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Multiplexed-multiply-to-conserve-resources-on-FPGA/m-p/1668138/highl...