LabVIEW FPGA Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
--thatguy

Memory and FIFO should indicate length without opening.

I have to remember to place a comment next to every memory element so that I can quickly know its size.  This is especially important because I can't get to the property window if I'm viewing the vi outside of the FPGA Target Scope. I can view the data type of a memory/FIFO element by hovering over the wire that goes into a read/write property with the context help window open, so I don't really care about that.  However I cannot view its size.  This could be fixed in one of two ways, add it to the context help when you hover over the element or display it directly on the memory element.

17825i508503367D458784

3 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

My vote is for the context help.  I don't need more stuff to clutter my diagram.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Dragis
Active Participant

i agree with crossrulz, i think it would be very handy to put the info in the context help. if a block diagram presence is desired, i think it would be ok to put a right-click option to expand the node and have the extra information captured below the name (perhaps in smaller font). 

heel

Having parameters in context help is already implemented in xilinx ip's, so there is no reason why it should not be in fifo and ram blocks as well. Same argument for IO nodes and their configuration would be handy in context help. In short: More consistency in context help layout would be good.