LabVIEW FPGA Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JordanJMcBain

Memory Persistence/Volatility on FPGA

Well it seems that persistent/non-volatile memory is not available on FPGA targets for scenarios involving cycling power.

Apparently, the recommended approach is to transfer the data to the host and store it to disk.

This is a bit problematic in that the choice is either to write data to disk at a high rate or to accept that the most recent data might not be reloaded on restart.  For instance, an operator might expect to know exactly how many revolutions a shaft has undergone after power cycles to the FPGA target. A guaranttee that this information is as up to date as possible probably can't be met (maybe even under transferring data to disk at a high rate).

So I'd like to request this. 

Jordan McBain, PhD
LabVIEW Controls Engineer
Revolutionary Engineering
3 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Your idea is a hardware request, not a LabVIEW request. NI does not have a hardware idea exchange (I don't know why). I'm going to close this idea since it doesn't belong in this forum and there's no place else to put it, but I will forward it along to someone who could consider it.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

I say this idea should just be moved to the LabVIEW FPGA board.  It shouldn't be closed.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Darren
Proven Zealot

I just moved the idea to the LabVIEW FPGA board. This is the first time I've ever moved an idea, so let me know if something went wrong.