LabVIEW FPGA Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
--thatguy

Fixed Point numbers don't always show coercion dots.

I know its not necessarily a LVFPGA issue, but its us LVFPGA users that use fixed point numbers most often.  Why don't fixed point numbers always show coercion dots.  If every unnecessary numerical digit wastes chip resources, then isn't it more important that we know about these coercions so that we can avoid them?

17841iA5A553AFF2430D61

2 Comments
Dragis
Active Participant

i understand your frustration. the fixed point numbers as implemented today only show the red coercion dots if the coercion will cause a loss in value (precision is being removed). that seemed to fit standard labview behavior most closely without having red dots all over the diagram.

the blue coercion dots are used on the output of operators if the operator has been configured to return a different type than labview would normally have chosen. perhaps a blue coercion dot would be most appropriate here since labview would like to change the indicator type to match the input, but the user hasn't given it permission. if you right-click on the indicator and select adapt to type labview will do just that.

--thatguy

Are you suggesting that they should also change the red dot to blue on the I16 going to an I32 as shown above?  If so, I think it might be difficult to see it.

Personally I'm indifferent to the color of the dot as long as there is an indication in both directions (precision being removed, precision being added).