LabVIEW FPGA Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulRB

Allow the Addition of Multiple C Series Modules at one Time

LabVIEW FPGA gives users the ability to prototype FPGA code before they even have the hardware. This is incredibly useful. However, this requires you to manually add your controller, chassis, fpga, and C series modules. The process of adding C Series modules could be improved. Currently, you only have the option to add one module at a time. This isn't too difficult if you only have a few modules. However, if you have a full chassis of modules and a few ethercat expansion chassis, this process can be extremely time consuming. It would be nice if you could add multiple modules at the same time like you can with compactDAQ.

Current

Current method of adding C Series Modules. It takes a long time to add each module individually.

Proposed

Current method of adding cdaq modules. You can add all of your modules from one screen.

2 Comments
Spex
NI Employee (retired)

I agree with the spirit if this request, but I also wanted to make sure you are aware of the LabVIEW FPGA Project Wizard (introduced in LabVIEW 8.5).  You can invoke the wizard from the LabVIEW Getting Started Window by selecting "FPGA Project" from the targets menu and selecting Go.  The wizard allows you to create simulated HW or detect real HW, and in a couple steps it provides a way to quickly create a contoller & chassis and fill the chassis with available C Series modules.  

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/6358

I'm not sure if the FPGA Project Wizard fully addresses your needs when using an EtherCAT chassis.  I'll have to try it out later.

Cheers,

Spex

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
PaulRB
Active Participant

That is very cool. I knew about the wizard but I had never used it. There is just something about the word 'wizard' that makes me hesitate to use one. I still would like to get this functionality in the project, but this will be good for now.