From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW FPGA Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Intaris

Addtional "Interactive" FPGA mode

When debugging FPGA code, I still like creating debug code right there in the FPGA code with FP debug indicators.  After some simulation I can then compile (the exact same code) and test with hardware.

The IDE, however, makes my life really hard.  In the background, each VI has a default build spec or bitfile associated with it.  When a tiny tiny change occurs in the source code (some of which seem overly sensitive BTW) the interactive mode will not start.

It would be nice if we had the option, assuming that the FP controls are identical, that we can start an interactive mode where the existing bitfile is used with the same FP of the VI source.  A visual indicator that the bitfile MAY NOT be identical with the code would by a good idea.  Sometimes changes are trivial, sometimes when fixing a bug, we might want to double-check old behaviour for a moment before starting a compile process.  The ability to maintain the option to execute the last compiled code seems like it would be a nice addition.

And yes, we could make a RT app which interacts with the FP elements but since debugging code changes often (including FP elements), this is a problematic maintenance issue.

1 Comment
Intaris
Proven Zealot

Adding to this idea is an experience I just made today.....

Trying to test some code which -should- accept commands via DMA wasn't working so I reverted to programmatically setting controls ont he FP to inject commands.

This wasn't working for me for some reason (It feels like a driver problem).  Writing and reading controls was not working, but Interactive mode did.......