LabVIEW Embedded

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I flash an ARM Cortex M3 with a compiled hex file?

Solved!
Go to solution

I need to update the flash on a ARM Cortex M3 using the compiled hex file thru a JTAG port. I make circuit board test fixtures and will need to update the firmware if it is not the latest.  I use TestStand and Labview on a Windows XP  PXI system. I have a DAQ 6289 but can add on more modules if I need to. What would be the best way to do this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(9,705 Views)
Solution
Accepted by R_W

Are you working with the LabVIEW Embedded for ARM Module and trying to deploy a hex file created there? Or is this a seperate hex file you'd like to deploy to your board while testing with LabVIEW and TestStand? If you just need to deploy a hex file, you would use a program like FlashMagic to push the code to the board. This thread talks about methods of programming PICs with external programs called from LabVIEW:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-can-I-control-PIC-programmer-with-LabVIEW/td-p/138120?requireLog...

It's different hardware but likely the same idea you can use: calling an executable that loads the hex file onto the board. Do you have the program you used to push the current software to the board?

Regards,

Zach P.

Staff Software Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(9,681 Views)
Solution
Accepted by R_W

Hi Zach,

I have the hex file from our design group only. I am not using the LabView ARM module. I believe I have found a solution using a ST-Link in-circuit programmer that will connect to the JTAG port on the board and it accepts command line controls that I can send using LabView. I have not tested this yet but I am confident it will work.

Regards,

Rick

Message 3 of 5
(9,678 Views)

Hey Rick,

That's what we normally suggest, glad you found a command line accessible programmer to do it. Good luck!

Zach P.

Staff Software Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(9,666 Views)

Were you able to program the ARM Cortex using labview?

if so, could you share your VIs?

thanks a lot

Message 5 of 5
(6,767 Views)