From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Electrical Power Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to measure rms value of current and voltage by using LabVIEW?

I want to measure RMS value of current and voltage signal which I am getting by using CRIO 9076 analog input card. I have used rms block from electrical power of LabVIEW, but value varries from 0 to rms which is not required. So, suggest me program for measuring rms value measurement. 

Gaurao A. Dongre
Walchand College of Engineering, Sangli.
Mail: dongre.gaurao1991@gmail.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(9,838 Views)
Hi Dongre, What do you mean by "but value varries from 0 to rms which is not required. " If you are using EPS 2014, you should first identify the type of data acquisition cards you are using for your cRIO 9076 (SAR of Delta-Sigma), and then choose the examples with the corresponding type in name in the Power Quality folder. These are more ready-to-run than the examples in Basic Power Measurement which are for DAQmx, but which could also give you a straight forward view of how to measure RMS. You need to check the data acquisition modules on your cRIO for acquisition precision. If they are different from what's used in the examples, you need to manually modify a bit. Refer to the link below for how to adjust precision when you change for another module. http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Electrical-Power-Suite/Wrong-Voltage-Values-using-NI-9225-and-ELectr...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(9,808 Views)

Dear Levis,

I am using NI 9205 card for measuring volatge, current and power. Here I have attached image of my simulation. Please suggest me what is the problem I have made in it? 

Gaurao A. Dongre
Walchand College of Engineering, Sangli.
Mail: dongre.gaurao1991@gmail.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(9,800 Views)

Dongre,

Please do take the examples as reference first.

<National Instruments>\LabVIEW 2014\examples\Electrical Power\Power Quality\Applications (cRIO) (SAR) or Applications (cRIO) (Delta-Sigma) - depending on the type of the modules you are using . If you do not want to use FPGA to resample the data but to use cRIO CPU instead (which is not recommended), the Applications (DAQmx) folder is a good reference.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(9,783 Views)

Can any one please explain me how to set Sample time in Energy block.
kindly attach .vi file calculating energy from simple simulated sine wave.

It will be great favour 

Thakin you in anticipation

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,897 Views)

Please don't spam the forums by resurrecting multiple old threads and asking the same question.

continue with the post here http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Electrical-Power-Suite/Re-Electrical-power-energy-auditing/td-p/3252...

which I put into its own new message thread.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,805 Views)