NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums
Active Participant
RnDMonkey
0 Kudos

Re: Now available for download: "Randomize 1D Array.vi" that accepts any array type

A couple names that come to mind:

Adaptive VI

Metamorphic VI

So, why the secrecy?

____
Ryan R.
R&D
Active Participant
Hooovahh
0 Kudos

Re: Now available for download: "Randomize 1D Array.vi" that accepts any array type

morgol wrote:

So, why the secrecy?

I wouldn't worry too much.  I suspect that the souce is quite similar to this post on Lava posted in 2006.

http://lavag.org/topic/3238-randomise-array/page__view__findpost__p__15993

If you need to use this code and have the source available you can use the Lava version.

Active Participant
GregS
0 Kudos

Old thread, but in any case, it's not the algorithm that's secret, rather the way of creating a "generic" input/output type.  Still waiting for some light to be shed on that...

Active Participant
Hooovahh
0 Kudos

Sorry I guess I'm clueless in more than one way.  I thought this thread had some new reply to it.

Active Participant
Hooovahh
0 Kudos

Note that this whole post is speculation:

I believe that this feature is likely already built into LabVIEW.  Scripting was a feature that NI had for some time and used for programatically writing code.  Scripting was built into LabVIEW but was hidden until you entered the secret INI key into LabVIEW.ini.  Then you had a whole set of new methods to use.  If you wrote a VI using one of these new methods, then copied the VI to another machine that didn't have scripting enabled you would still see the method being called and could copy it to another VI, but you didn't have all the scripting functions just the one that was made on the machine that had the INI key enabled.  

I'd speculate that this Generic VI feature works the same way.  You enable an INI key and it allows you to make controls that change to the data type that is needed.  You can make copies of the controls and use them in new VIs, but without the ini key you are limited to the controls made by others who have the INI key.

This Generic VI feature would be the biggest thing since scripting and I can't wait for it to be released.  Is there any update to when/if we will be able to use this feature in our own VIs?

Trusted Enthusiast
AristosQueue
0 Kudos

Hooovahh wrote:
Is there any update to when/if we will be able to use this feature in our own VIs?

Unfortunately, the approach we were using turned out to have some severe drawbacks, so it's back to the research side of R&D.