LabVIEW Developers Feature Brainstorming

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Active Participant
crelf

Re: LabVIEW's use of ALT+TAB in Windows

Marc A wrote:

It would be really nice if ctrl+tab brought up an alt+tab style chooser that showed the icons for each VI that was open. Like so:

So all we really need for now is the VI icon being copied to the VI's Window's icon when it's edited (perhaps with a little LabVIEW glyph in the corner)?

Copyright © 2004-2014 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
Active Participant
JKSH
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Any progress on this?

Active Participant
Hooovahh
0 Kudos

JKSH wrote:

Hi all,

Any progress on this?

Sorta.  You bumping this thread got me thinking so I took a stab at it in my free time.  Attached is a proof of concept for an item that can appear in your tools menu and list all VIs with front panels open, and then allow you to pick one to go to.  You can also right click the VI and open the block diagram, or abort it if it is running.

There is a catch however.  This uses some internal methods and so it cannot be released in the state it is in now.  The compromise is I can post my working demo in LabVIEW 2011 with the block diagrams removed (sorry).  This means only version 2011 can use this but again this is only meant to be a working demo not a released project just yet.  You should be able to drop this LLB into your Project directory under <LabVIEW 2011>\Project.  Then restart LabVIEW and under the Tools you should have a "Show Open VIs" item.

This uses a bunch of Windows calls so this will only work in Windows OS.  Not sure what versions do or don't work but it has been tested on Windows 7 x64.  Any feed back is appreciated.

Active Participant
K C
0 Kudos

Can you post this with block diagrams. Otherwise it is not readable in other versions of LV

Kees.

Active Participant
Hooovahh
0 Kudos

K C wrote:

Can you post this with block diagrams. Otherwise it is not readable in other versions of LV

Kees.

I'm fully aware of that and I mentioned it in my last post.

Hooovahh wrote:

There is a catch however.  This uses some internal methods and so it cannot be released in the state it is in now.  The compromise is I can post my working demo in LabVIEW 2011 with the block diagrams removed (sorry).  This means only version 2011 can use this but again this is only meant to be a working demo not a released project just yet.  

Active Participant
K C
0 Kudos

Ok, I tried it in LV 2011 but it only produce a grey screen without any information

I don't see why you cannot post it with BD. You are not selling it here.

kdmcmullan
0 Kudos

I'd say it can't be published with BD because it calls internal methods! I'm OKay with that.

Don't thin kit really resolves the problem, though: why would I want to patch the LabVIEW IDE with a patch written in LabVIEW? It should be an option within the LabVIEW IDE itself to make the Alt-Tabbed windows respond more like other applications.

Active Participant
Hooovahh
0 Kudos

Did you have any VIs open?  This tool is meant to show you all the VIs who are open to give you a visual representation to easily find the open window to the code you want.

Like I said I'll try to release it at some point but I don't know when.  I figured it would be a good chance to get some feedback.  You saying there is nothing but a grey window is good feedback and maybe there should be some indication that no VIs are open.  If that is indeed the issue.

Knight of NI
Knight of NI
tst
0 Kudos

Hooovahh wrote:

Attached is a proof of concept for an item that can appear in your tools menu and list all VIs with front panels open, and then allow you to pick one to go to.  You can also right click the VI and open the block diagram, or abort it if it is running.

Is this significantly different from the one I posted in the beginning of the thread? I'm not talking about the launching mechanism* and the specific features. I'm asking about the basic functionality and implementation. The reason I'm asking is that as I said back then, it didn't work fast enough, so I'm wondering if that changed (quite possibly, since back then it would have been on LV 7.0).

* According to what I wrote there, apparently I didn't want to go through the tools menu because I wanted a single click. Hmm, now I realize it could probably be implemented as a single click simply by having the VI run when opened and adding a link to it where you want it (e.g. on the launch bar).

0 Kudos

tst wrote:

Is this significantly different from the one I posted in the beginning of the thread? I'm not talking about the launching mechanism* and the specific features. I'm asking about the basic functionality and implementation. The reason I'm asking is that as I said back then, it didn't work fast enough, so I'm wondering if that changed (quite possibly, since back then it would have been on LV 7.0).

* According to what I wrote there, apparently I didn't want to go through the tools menu because I wanted a single click. Hmm, now I realize it could probably be implemented as a single click simply by having the VI run when opened and adding a link to it where you want it (e.g. on the launch bar).

I tried making it as fast as possible and did some testing to see what worked the fastest.  Now I can't say it is going to be fast enough for any developer but I will be trying to incorporate it into my work flow.

One thing that is faster is getting the references to the VIs that are open.  I tried doing it a few different ways and the fastest was to use the get all VIs in memory function under the <vi.lib>\Utility.  This function has a control that only gets references to VIs whos front panels are open which is exactly what we want.

Then getting looping over all VI refs getting the icon, then creating a clone VI for each icon and putting in the clone VI the .Net picturebox of the icon.  I do this so that there is smooth window resizing, and it fits the picture nicely.