cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VHDL code integration?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

We've been developing OFDM and SOQPSK-TG transmitter and receiver hardware in FPGA using the design suite. Previously we were using LabVIEW FPGA. 

My question is, how do you import pre-written VHDL code to be compiled in the design suite? I cannot seem to figure out how to do this, which was possible with LabVIEW FPGA software. Which type of FPGA-targeted VI would you start with?

Thanks!

-Brian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(8,948 Views)

I would definitely recommend trying to repair/reinstall VeriStand since you have the code working flawlessly on another set up (could be a corrupt install).

I not familiar with any cRIO hard drive test off the top of my head, but let me look into that and see if we can come up with anything.

Also, for best practices in VeriStand, the closest thing I can recommend is the Getting Started materials but this is probably not helpful to you. The next thing would be the actual training but I understand that may not be doable as well. Just from your description of your architecture, I do not see anything inherently wrong but I would have to take a look at the project itself to know for sure.

dK
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(8,936 Views)

I'm having a hard time comprehending that response.  In fact I think you may have posted to the wrong topic...I don't even know what VeriStand is.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(8,932 Views)

I am so sorry! I replied to the wrong forum! Completely my fault!

dK
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(8,928 Views)

Wow for a second there I thought I was crazy! No worries Smiley Happy.  Hopefully another engineer will get back to me on this one.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(8,926 Views)

Has no one else experienced this question?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(8,894 Views)

So I was able to check with a few colleagues and confirm that LabVIEW Communications does not currently support VHDL integration as does LabVIEW FPGA.

dK
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(8,885 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author beck.278

Actually, while it's not well supported, it's also not impossible...

The general process is to create an IP-XACT file, and use that. There should be an example of what this looks like in the 579x or USRP sample projects.

Cheers!

TJ G
Message 8 of 20
(8,871 Views)

In LabVIEW Comms we use the  .eip extension to pull external VHDL in using IP-XACT as a backing description of that IP. You can find them to your project under resources on the FPGA target.

EIP integrated in the resources card

The .eip file is an IP-XACT file and you should be able to follow the pattern of those files in one contained in the USRP sampleprojects to get your VHDL working. 

Message 9 of 20
(8,859 Views)

All,

We have a created a KnowledgeBase article which describes integrating 3rd party FPGA IP in LabVIEW Communication 1.0 in more depth.

Nick C | Software Project Manager - LabVIEW Real-Time | National Instruments
Message 10 of 20
(8,512 Views)