LabVIEW Communications System Design Suite

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control front panel from outside LabView Communications

Solved!
Go to solution

I am interested in controlling some of the parameters on a front panel from outside of LabView in something like Python. I've found many guides for doing this in normal LabView using ActiveX, though they don't seem to be applicable to LabView Communications. 

Can ActiveX be used in LabView Communications similarly to how it can be used in LabView or is there another way to accomplish this without using ActiveX?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,949 Views)

I do not think the ability to control the Panel externally is a functionality that is present in LabVIEW Comms. What would you be using this functionality for? What is your application?

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Bilyk
Former NI Software Engineer (IT)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,915 Views)

Thanks for your response.

I am working on a project that requires coordination between multiple nodes. We need a tool to be able to dynamically adjust the center frequency, gains, and a few other parameters on multiple USRPs that are connected to different machines. 

I may try to build a control mechanism for this purpose over UDP then.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,913 Views)

No problem.

You can still use LabVIEW rather than LabVIEW Comms with the USRP, so if that has more functionality that you are used to, then you may want to think about switching to LabVIEW.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Bilyk
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,911 Views)

I would consider that, but I am building on top of the LTE Application Framework. That is only available for LabView Comms.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,909 Views)

That is an excellent reason to use LabVIEW Comms. Let me look into this further and see if I can come up with a way to control LabVIEW Comms using an external application.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Bilyk
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,907 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ctarver

Hi,

I investigated this further and at this time there is no way to control LabVIEW Comms using an external application. I think the UDP strategy is a solid idea given the constraints.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Bilyk
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,892 Views)

Ok, Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,890 Views)