From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Channel Wires

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flush Stream Missing (?)

We have to make a decision -- what functionality is fundamental to a given channel. We could load every channel up with tons of features no one is ever going to use. Take the embedded Stop signal of the High Speed Stream. I get close-but-not-quite-as-good performance with the HS Stream as compared to the raw queue refnums. The loss is almost entirely in the small amount of data movement needed to track the stop signal. That embedded stop is something I see in so many apps that it seems worth the overhead.

One of the keys of the channel design is that we don't want NI to be the ones defining all of the channels. We are NOT productizing this aspect of channels this release because there are some instabilities around it, but you CAN write your own channel templates and have them appear in the channel dialog. That allows you to create new channels that have additional capabilities.

The one thing I think we do need to add is a priority queue. We have a lot of requests for that. This is not the "enqueue at opposite end" ... that gets abused WAY too much. This is creating an actual priority queue protocol so that high priority enqueues can go through and still themselves be handled in FIFO order.

Message 21 of 24
(1,821 Views)

Getting way OT here, but priority queues are a very very useful feature.  Hopefully they would have a priority score (UINT) rather than a boolean priority/non-priority.

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 24
(1,821 Views)

sth wrote:

Getting way OT here, but priority queues are a very very useful feature.  Hopefully they would have a priority score (UINT) rather than a boolean priority/non-priority.

Assigned levels of priority provide more efficient throughput than comparing/sorting priority scores. For the AF, I exposed a 3-level priority queue (low, normal, high) rather than provide a way to score the messages for that reason. The scoring mechanism is obviously more flexible. I'm not sure which is preferred. Obviously, we could provide both, but these are fine-grain computer-sciency decisions that often frustrate LV users more than they help.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 24
(1,821 Views)

From my standpoint, prioritizing elements in a queue would also accomplish my goal. So as far as I'm concerned, this horse has died and we can leave the carcass for the wolves & vultures.

Thanks for your (everyone's) help and input. I'm off to bigger and better things.

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 24
(1,821 Views)