From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Architects Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tuesday, August 30th is our next meeting. Call for presentations

Hi LAF members,

Craig Hitchman has volunteered to do an encore presentation of his presentation at NI Week: "LabVIEW + Databases: Use the Power of the SQL"

There is room for one more presenter or we can do a group discussion.

Let us know if you would like to present or what topics you are interested in or if there was a presentation from NI week that you would like to see.

Best regards,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Message 1 of 14
(10,979 Views)

I am willing to do a presentation on implementing (dynamic) variable length array manipulation in LabVIEW FPGA.

Message 2 of 14
(10,012 Views)

I'd be happy to repeat myAlliance Day session on package design and management.  This is the one I did with Jon McBee.

Unfunded Liabilities:  How Poor Package Design Drives Technical Debt, and What You Can Do About It

As software applications grow in size and complexity, they require a larger unit of organization than the VI, class, or library.  Organizing our software into packages is important to long term success, but package design is an oft-overlooked aspect of system development in the LabVIEW community.  The result can be an application that is increasingly resistant to change, or even prematurely obsolete.  Come to this session to learn the principles of good package design, and some metrics and tools you can use to guide your own development.

Message 3 of 14
(10,012 Views)

niACS wrote:

I'd be happy to repeat myAlliance Day session on package design and management.  This is the one I did with Jon McBee.

Unfunded Liabilities:  How Poor Package Design Drives Technical Debt, and What You Can Do About It

As software applications grow in size and complexity, they require a larger unit of organization than the VI, class, or library.  Organizing our software into packages is important to long term success, but package design is an oft-overlooked aspect of system development in the LabVIEW community.  The result can be an application that is increasingly resistant to change, or even prematurely obsolete.  Come to this session to learn the principles of good package design, and some metrics and tools you can use to guide your own development.

and a little touch of Jenga too

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(10,012 Views)

FabiolaDelaCueva wrote:

niACS wrote:

Loved that part!

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(10,012 Views)

I could present any of my two presentations. I will put one here and the other on another comment and we can count the number of likes to see what we get as a second presenter next time.

DQMH: Decisions Behind the Design

The Delacor Queued Message Handler (free via the LabVIEW Tools Network) was launched during NIWeek 2015. Last year, several LabVIEW teams adopted it as their springboard for applications involving multiple modules running in parallel while communicating with each other. Based on the NI Queued Message Handler project template, the DQMH provides safe, event-based message handling and scripting tools to make development easy, encourage the same style between different developers on the same project, and improve efficiency. At this session, learn about the decisions behind the design and best practices to take advantage of this project template.

Message 6 of 14
(10,012 Views)

FabiolaDelaCueva wrote:

I acutally scored one of the little Jenga sets that Perkins Coie was giving away at their booth.  But it's a little impractical for presentations (Jon's heroic efforts the night before the conference notwithstanding), so instead, the presentation now featurs a photo of the Giant Jenga set that was in play on Monday.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(10,012 Views)

Improving Code Quality and Team Efficiency

Fabiola De la Cueva talks about five tips that can ensure happier, more productive developers, from ways to create APIs that are easy to use and troubleshoot to productivity tools that can automate repetitive tasks. Improving the developer experience leads to better code quality and team efficiency, code that is easier to troubleshoot, and developers who meet their deadlines with joy.

Message 8 of 14
(10,012 Views)

The FPGA topic sounds particularly interesting given there isn't a lot of info out there on such advanced LabVIEW FPGA topics.  The other topics suggested are great, technical debt is good too.  I am on vacation during this presentation so I will look for the recording when I get back.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(10,012 Views)

So given the current list of suggested topics, this is going to sound a little bit self serving.

I liked the room 15 presentations at NI Week, but was also dissapointed in that I had seen a number of them already from either CLA summit or various user groups (including our own). I would prefer to see new content, rather than content that has been shown 2 or 3 times already.

Whether my FPGA presentation makes the list or not, let's go with some original content or at least content that has not already been presented this calendar year.

Message 10 of 14
(10,012 Views)