JKI State Machine Objects

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you for joining!

Hello all,

Thank you for joining the JKI State Machine Objects (SMO) community. This is a great place to have discussions about your ideas and feedback about the framework.

At JKI, we truly want you to collaborate in making the SMO framework even better! All the source code is available on our GitHub repository where you can download it, create forks, make your own changes, and post ideas for features. You can also directly download the SMO Editor package using VIPM.

I look forward to reading your comments,

Javier Ruiz - Partner at JKI
jki.net
vipm.io
Message 1 of 10
(13,939 Views)

Thank you for starting this group. 

I've been DYING to implement JKI SMOs in my projects but haven't seen an example or tutorial.  I saw an NI Week presentation and have poked around what was available (last year?) but couldn't get started.  I've just moved into a new laptop and saw/installed the SMO VIPs and looked at the included example.  I'm hopeful that 2016 is the year I roll this out to my team.

I look forward to this group rocking and rolling!

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(12,779 Views)

Thank you for your comment and excitement!

I am very excited about this project as well. I am finalizing a "getting started" video for next week. In the meantime, our GItHub page now has more information on how to get started and what are the main components of the SMO Framework. Was the provided example helpful for you? I am happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Looking forward to your comments and feedback!

jki.net
vipm.io
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(12,779 Views)

The provided example is probably enough for a normal developer, but I need more hand-holding.  It took until late last year, when I found yet another tutorial, to finally be able to build an Actor Framework application (with only one actor).  Your recent post is helpful (I've printed out the picture) but it doesn't go far enough.  I would be greatly helped by a step-by-step tutorial explaining how to build that example.

Thank you,

Jim

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 4 of 10
(12,779 Views)

Thanks for the feedback Jim.

I will make sure we include that in the videos.

Have a great weekend!

jki.net
vipm.io
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(12,779 Views)

Hi Javier

I remember during NIWeek that Jim demosntrated how to send commands between different SMOs but I can't seem to find any reference to that. Is there an example/video/tutorial that demonstrates how can this be done?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(12,779 Views)

Thanks for the question,

If you look in the provided examples, we use User Events to communicate bewtween SMOs. Also, the ByRef examples have an example event that you can look at. The API_TEMPLATE method shows you how to communicate into an SMO. The Public Events are how the SMO communicates with the outside (any other SMO just needs to register for the public events of the first SMO).

Please let me know if you have any other question

.Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 10.31.13 AM.png

jki.net
vipm.io
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(12,779 Views)

Hi Javier,

Thanks so much for posting this, I have been struggling with the Actor Framework, and this appears to be a much simpler OO implementation to follow. I am thinking of using this in my next project as it fits well with my thought process and clasic procedural coding techniques. I do have one question though.

In the Test launchers, you bundle the Reg Events ref into a cluster before passing into the while loop and the dynamic event terminal.

Why is this, as it appears to work with and without the bundle function

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(12,779 Views)

Hi Nigel,

I am very glad that you will use the SMO framework for your next project.

You are right about the test launchers. The only reason why we have a bundle function is for convenience if you had multiple event registration that you want to listen to.

Make sure to check Francois' webinar here to see a GREAT example on how to use the SMO framework.

Please feel free to post any questions or comments!

jki.net
vipm.io
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(12,779 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

Thank you for starting this group. 

I've been DYING to implement JKI SMOs in my projects but haven't seen an example or tutorial.  I saw an NI Week presentation and have poked around what was available (last year?) but couldn't get started.  I've just moved into a new laptop and saw/installed the SMO VIPs and looked at the included example.  I'm hopeful that 2016 is the year I roll this out to my team.

I look forward to this group rocking and rolling!

I'm hopeful that 2017 is the year I roll this out to my team.

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(12,608 Views)