Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the difference between GPIB and VISA when we compile a program?

I downloaded the file that I pasted in the message. There is no problem. Could you give me a email address or some place I could send it to you?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 34
(2,286 Views)

Automatic error handling dialogs is an option that you can turn on from Tools>Options>New and Changed in 7.x. With this turned on, you don't have to rewire the VI to add the connections for the error in/error out clusters. If you run the VI and get an error, a pop-up will automatically appear. It would still be a good idea to wire them up and add an error out indicator but to get you started quicker, the automatic dialogs are an option.

When MAX finds the instrument, does MAX report that it doesn't respond to the idn query or do you get this information when it does the scan. If MAX can do it, you should certainly be able to repeat that if you choose to 'Communicate with instrument' in MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 34
(2,286 Views)
No matter what commands string I sent, the response showed "EABO". I don't know how to fix it. I have use command from the manual book. So strange.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 34
(2,286 Views)
You're getting the timeout in MAX or in LabVIEW? What about my other question about MAX identifying the instrument? When you do a scan for instruments, over on the right side of the screen it will list the instrument, it's address and under 'description', if the instrument responds to *IDN?, it will have the information there. Otherwise it will report that the instrument did not respond. If the description is okay, then you should be able to right click on the instrument listing and select 'Communicate with Instrument'. If you send the *IDN? and you get a timeout, then I don't know what to say as you are just repeating what MAX does as far as I know.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 34
(2,282 Views)
Thank you, Dennis;

No matter what commands I write, what i read is EABO. When I switched GPIB address of RS 245, I scanned for instrument by MAX, and I saw the new GPIB address, and the problem came out and got the same result" EABO" when I query *IDN?

From what I did, I speculated that I could write command for RS 245, but I can't read out data. Do you know how to correct it?

Now I worry about GPIB-USB-HS cable. Are there any jumpers inside the cable? Or did you know someone report the same problem like me about this cable. I trusted NI company and I think there shouldn't have any quality problem about its products, right? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 34
(2,279 Views)

I'm still waiting for you to tell me what MAX does when it does the scan for instruments and does it return a message that the idn? failed when it ran it. I'm assuming that it did but I would like you to confirm that.

I just received two GPIB-USB-HS and both work flawlessly. There are no jumpers or anything else to set with it. If you had a different GPIB instrument, you could use it with that and see what happens.

I looked at SR's web site and they don't list the manual for this instrument. do you have an electronic copy of it that you could post?

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 34
(2,274 Views)

After I powered on instrument, I opened MAX, and hit the Devices and Interface, and saw GPIB0(GPIB-USB-HS), and expanded it and saw Instrument0 there and saw four components listing in the right side of window:

Name                                                 Value                                 Description

Primary Address                                  23

Secondary Address                            None

Identification                                        The device did not respond to a *IDN? query

GPIB Interface Number                       0

Did I need to install some drivers? I installed NI488.2 Program.

When I ran Getting Started Wizard, the three verified components passed.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 34
(2,270 Views)
Thanks. At least I know know that MAX could not run the IDN query either. It appears that you have all of the drivers installed correctly. MAX successfully found your instrument. The fact that *IDN? did not work is not uncommon because a lot of older instruments do not support the command but you say that the command is in the manual, correct? The manual does list *IDN? correct? Looking at the commands in the driver, it would not surprise me that the isntrument doesn't support the command. I don't know what else to try. It sure would be nice to see the manual if there is something else that needs to be set on the instrument.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 34
(2,267 Views)

Thank you very much, Dennis

From the manual, there is one sentence."Note: with newer GPIB cards you may have to add \r to the end of a command to get a proper <cr>"

Somone suggested one to enter: IBwrt "*IDN?\r" or IBwrt"*IDN?/r" or IBwrt"*IDN?", which didn't work.

I couldn't find *IDN? as a command in the SR245 manual, but I tried other commands from the manual book, and I got the same feedback"EABO",  actually there are not too many commands there, so I can list them as follows:

Input/Output Command:

I<n>   n=0---8

?<n>  n=1---8

?D

C

Trigger Commands:

MS

MA

Scan Commands:

ES

N

?N

Miscellaneous Commands:

MR

W<n>    n=0-225

I will try to find out some electronic papers for SR 245

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 34
(2,262 Views)

I have to tell you one thing:

When I used the same cable to talk with Lockin Amplifier SR510, I wrote commands from Lock-in manual, I saw GPIB address of Lock-in, and couldn't communicate with the it. The same phenomena happened like what I did for SR 245.

I don't think that SR 245 is old instrument, AND it should be new one.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 34
(2,261 Views)