Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is blinking code 88 on GPIB-ENET/100 mean?

Hi,

This is a continuation of the post "What is EDVR error 0xE1060077?" from a few days ago, which is still unresolved. I have recently noticed that the GPIB-ENET/100 was blinking code 88. Thinking that it might be code 89, I updgraded its firmware to C.9. However, this has not changed anything. I still get EDVR error 0xE1060077 using ibic. There are very brief (a minute or two) moments when it seems the GPIB-ENET/100 is working fine. Otherwise, it fails in the NI GPIB troubleshooting program. As for blinking code 88, I haven't spotted it yet; but I only saw it once before the other day, after leaving the GPIB-ENET/100 on for a while.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,904 Views)
coopee,

Is your device still displaying an error code, or did it go away after you upgraded the firmware to C9? Error code 89 was a common error with the GPIB-ENET/100 which is why we released the C9 firmware. I would imagine that if you haven't seen an error code since you upgraded the firmware that you actually saw error 89. If you are still seeing an error code verify that it is indeed 8 long pulses, and 8 short pulses.

As far as your EDVR issue and sequentially verified failing. Is your GPIB-ENET/100 configured with DHCP, or a static IP address? Since you have two ENET/100s, and one is working, check to see if there is any difference in how they are configured. Are they both configured with DHCP or static? Are they both on the same subnet as your computer?

I suspect like Scott suggested that you are experiencing a networking issue.

Shawn B.
National Instruments
Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,885 Views)
hello folks,

the problem did indeed turn out to be a network problem. Specifically, a computer on the network was using the same ip address. The GPIB-ENET/100 was getting its address by DHCP. It seems, however, the DHCP server did not notice this fault.

Anyway, I wish I didn't have to use the GPIB-ENET/100. Controlling instruments over the network is a tricky business. You inherently allow devious individuals access to the instruments and/or ability to disrupt a running experiment. I would much rather have stayed with a GPIB card. Perhaps, as a remedy to using the network, I should connect the GPIB-ENET/100 directly to a computer.

thanks to all for replying.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,871 Views)
coopee,

Glad to hear you fixed the problem. You could always use a crossover cable to directly connect your ENET to a computer isolated from your network.

Shawn B.
National Instruments
Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,856 Views)