Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

visa resource finder won't find PXI-4070

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm using LV 2015, 32bit on windows 7x64.  I have an NI PXIe-1065 connected to the PCI bus of the computer.  I have several instruments in the PXI chassis included some switch cards, a scope and a PXI-4070 DMM.

when I run the VISA resource finder, the result will show me all of the PXI cards in the chassis (as well as the serial port on the computer) but it will not find the PXI-4070.

NI MAX shows the card and I can run self test and open the interactive panels in MAX. I have saved the NAME (not alias) of the PXI-4070 as "PXI-4070" 

I can also use the DMM using NI-DMM drivers just fine.

the address of the PXI-4070 in MAX is:  PXI24::15::INSTR

I need to be able to programmatically detect which PXI/PXIe cards are in my chassis so that I can set them up as the system in the configuration that it's in.  can anyone help me understand why the VISA resource finder won't see the PXI-4070 and report it?

Reece L. Bain, Jr.
Electronics Engineer, Stf.
Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,887 Views)

My apologies.  I edited the post above once and it won't let me edit it again.  I guess there's a one time limit?

anyway, I was incorrect in my problem description above.  the problem is not that the VISA Resource Finder won't find it, it's that when I try to OPEN the PXI-4070 using VISA OPEN and the input "PXI-4070" it returns the error stating it can't find the resource.

-1073807343 is the error code. "possible reasons:  VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

Reece L. Bain, Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,867 Views)

The same error occurs even if I use the PXI24::15::INSTR as the input to the VISA OPEN command.

Reece L. Bain, Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,860 Views)

What is wrong with just using the NI-DMM drivers to control the PXI-4070?  It would be a lot simpler.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,848 Views)

Before using the NI DMM drivers, I'm trying to simply open ALL instruments using VISA open, then get each instruments' attributes (model, name, mfg, serial number, pxi chassis and slot number, etc).  I'm doing that through a loop tied to the array I get from the FIND RESOURCE output.

I don't want to make an exception just for the DMM to do it a different way.  So from my perspective THIS particular part of the program wouldn't be easier using the NI DMM drivers (I will be using them once I've established the configuration of the test equipment).  

why wouldn't this method work like it does for all other instruments?

Reece L. Bain, Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,827 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lockheed_eng

Hi Reece,

Have you tried using the NI System Configuration API? It allows you to programmatically query all of the hardware on your system. Here's some more information on the API:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/373107J-01/nisyscfg/introduction

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-13216

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-29606

Sunayna R.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,814 Views)

Thank you, Sunayna R.

This looks like exactly what I need.

Reece L. Bain, Jr.