From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

viRead() always get VI_SUCCESS_MAX_CNT(3FFF0006) even though the buf is big enough

Hi ,

i am using NI-MAX 14.01, with its visa driver, i want to read 75000 bytes data from an agilent instrument via hislip. 

i have already allocated a 99999 bytes long buffer, suppose it is big enough to handle this data.

the code looks like:

unsigned char sendbuf[1000];

unsigned char recvBuffer[99999];

status = viOpenDefaultRM(&defaultRM);

status = viOpen(defaultRM, "TCPIP0::192.168.0.1::hislip1::INSTR", VI_NULL, VI_NULL, &instr);

sprintf_s(sendBuffer, "fetch:EVM?\n");
int len = _mbstrlen(sendBuffer); 

status = viWrite(instr, (ViBuf)sendBuffer, len, &count);  // this line can be executed successfully, and the instrument does truly received this command

status = viRead(instr, (ViBuf)recvBuffer, 99999, &count); //  but at this line, i always get 3FFF0006 (MAX_CNT) warning, and the output count is always ZERO. 

i think it does not makes, if the received data really exceeds the buffer, the output parameter "count" should not be ZERO. 

I also did the follwing tests

1. change the hislip to vxi-11. replace hislip1 with inst1. the code works very well,  the "count" is exactly 75000. the status = VI_SUCCESS.

2. use VISA-TEST pannel and send the same command to instrument. the VISA test pannel shows that status=VI_SUCCESS, but the output "count" is about 13000, not 75000 as i expected. 

3, I also use Agilent IO library suite 17 provided VISA driver. my test code can also work correctly. 

i don't know if i made any mistake in my test code. I do really appreciate for any suggestions correctons, and comments. 

thanks 

KEEHUA

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,716 Views)
Thansk for your reply. i think i have read this manual before, but cannot find anything about this problem. my code works very well when the session is VXI-11 or GPIB. i also tried both async and sync write/read. but it doesn't help.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,682 Views)

If you are able to get your code to work with Agilent VISA as you claim, then stick with Agilent VISA.

If you have NI-VISA and Agilent VISA both installed, read http://www.keysight.com/upload/cmc_upload/All/knowledge_code_02_dual_visa_readme.pdf?&cc=US&lc=eng

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,664 Views)