Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

use ib-style or il-style in visual basic application

Hi,
I am in the process of developing GUI based application (developed in VB6) to remotely control an HP8753d network analyser.
The visual Basic sample programs that have been shipped with my driver CD seem to be using il-style calls, but an application PDF's from the NI sites seem to refer to NI_488.2 functions as ib-style.
Is there a difference between the two styles and what are the situations when I should use each of the respective styles?
Can they be used interchangably?
Has anyone writeen a vb6 apllication for a HP8753d network analyser. If so,would i be able to obtain it so as to use it as a sample code?
Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,767 Views)
The il-style calls are unique to Visual Basic. There are some subtle differences between the il-style and ib-style calls that the user would have to be mindful of when programming. I would recommend using the ib-style commands since you are just beginning to program you application. You can still use the example programs for VB that ship with the GPIB driver as a guide when programming.

For more information on the il-style calls, I would recommend the following links:

Using IL-style Function Calls with the 32-bit GPIB Language Interface for Visual Basic

GPIB Language Interfaces for BASIC

Regards,

Mike N.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,767 Views)