Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb rs232 problem

Solved!
Go to solution
Have you used I/O Trace in MAX to capture what you are sending? Are you using the same cable from the old pc? If not, have you checked that the wiring is identical?
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(2,985 Views)

The old computer has a dedicated serial port for controling thedevice while the new one does not.  Thisis the reason I am using the usb to rs232 converter for the new program, and cannot use the old cable any more.  I amin the process of checking the voltage output of the cables.

In the meantime, I ran an I/O trace and have attached the .trace file attempting to communicate with serial device.  I am having issues interpreting the results, however.  I would like to know if anyone sees something sticking out to them from the analysis.  I will get back on the actual cable transmission soon.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(2,967 Views)
The type of connector for a dedicated serial port and for a USB-RS232 converter should be exactly the same - a male DB9.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(2,955 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author NIMike42

Thank you everyone for your replies and inshight.  I have found the solution to my problem.  After using a diagnostic tool to check which pins carry the signal, I found that my old cable actually sends and receives information in a reverse configuration (TS and RS).  I have resoldered my connector and it's working just fine now.  The USB cable is working fine, and the program works.

Message 14 of 16
(2,916 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author NIMike42

You know why it is called RS232?

except for the official naming we use 

ReSolder pin 2 to 3 and pin 3 to 2.....

greetings from the Netherlands
Message 15 of 16
(2,888 Views)

Thanks Albert for the insight.  I did not know the significance.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(2,869 Views)