From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

synchronous serial signal

I have to use LabVIEW to communicate with a synchronous serial device. The RS-232 computer port is asynchronous. Is there any NI hardware (or recommended) to allow the LabVIEW communication between the Windows PC and my device ?
Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,690 Views)
Tom,

AFAIK there's no such tool and never will. Serial Comm on a computer is per se asynchronous. Incoming data are received in a kind of UART chip and stored in its buffer. When a given filling level of the buffer (or a given delay) is reached, an interrupt is raised and the data is transformed to the application level program (your exe). The same holds true when sending data.
This is always decoupled and as such asynchronous. One would need a dedicated CPU (µC) to fully reach synchronous transactions.

There is a property to perform serial transactions synchronously. This would, however, just prevent LabVIEW from doing any other things before the required transaction is finished. On the system and driver level there is just marginal change, AFAIK.

I would not believe that the synchronous transaction you mentioned is really required or is what I understood from your Q.

HTH and Greetings from Germany!
--
Uwe
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,682 Views)