Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

symbol output using VISA but it suppose to be normal string

i used VISA to retrieve data from device(TADATAKER). when i unload the historical data to my computer. The data come out all symbols and i am sure that the data is in normal string format because i can receive it correctly in using VB.How to solve it?Is it the computer speed will affect the VISA or the VISA time out problem to receive data?I also not really understand the time out function. If within the time out the VISA also cant receive data it will gv a error message.How do i know when the device will return data to computer.why it can not stand there and keep going receive data without gv error.What is the best time out number or how to determine it?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,844 Views)
please post the exact VISA query you are using.

As far as the timeout, I rarely change the value. I usually set it to 2 seconds and leave it alone unless I have a very long operation coming up. There is one particular setting a have to use on my power meter to measure a very low duty cycle noise waveform. The power meter can take up to 45 seconds to settle and return data. So before I send the query command I set the timeout to 45000mS. I believe you can set it to a very very large value. Check the VISA manual. ]

The purpose for the timeout function is so that if you make a query and the instrument is not connected to the bus, or has an internal problem, or there is some other failure, your program doesn't have to just lock up. The query will fail with
a timeout and your code can use the error information to notify the operator of the problem. So set it to some reasonable value and change it when you start a long operation.

You mention using VB, but it is unclear if you are still using it. What are you programming with now? That may also be helpful to solving your problem.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,844 Views)
i sure is using labview 7.if i set the time out to 10 second then the vi will hang there until 10 seconds if no data receive.Is this a good way to receive data like this?should i put the VISA receiver in 1 loop and the VISA sender in another loop?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,844 Views)