Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stuck with run mode

Hi
I am stuck with run mode on one of my VI (I can't edit it or even see the diagram). here's what I verified
1. tools>option>miscellaneous> I uncheck "Open VIs in run mode"
2. I hit Ctrl+M, it is still in run mode
3. I close LabVIEW and reopen, it's still in run mode
4. I check the VI file type, it's not a read only

Do u have any idea about how I can go back to edit mode to modify the diagram? I'm using LabVIEW 7.1
Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,700 Views)
From the diagram of a new VI, insert the VI you're having trouble with. Double click the VI and it should open in edit mode. Then you can change the VI properties. Right click on the VI's icon and select VI Properties>Execution and make sure run when open is unchecked. When you select this option for a VI, you should first make sure that you can stop it with a front panel control or leave the toolbar visible.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,692 Views)
I tried that but it doesn't work.
My VI isn't running automatically when I open that VI file though. What I mean by run mode is that, the VI only allows the user to run, and no one can not edit the file. I kinda lock that VI a few months ago and don't remember exactly what I did to lock it like this. But I kinda remember that I went to tools>options>miscellanious> and check "open VIs in run mode" and operate>change to run mode. I undo those settings, but I can't get it back to edit mode.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,662 Views)
Are you sure you didn't save the VI without a diagram? You must have done something else besides changing the tools menu. You would have had to do something from the Properties menu. Look at VI Properties and check the security settings. Why don't you post the VI so someone can look at it?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,658 Views)
Yesterday, I kinda goof around with it with the tools>options>open VIs in run mode and change to edit mode (Ctrl+M) and it allowed me to edit again, but stupid me, I didn't save it...so when I open it again, it doesn't allow me to edit.
I looked at the security, it's all greyed out (I can't set it), but it said locked (no password).
I really want to post the VI on the website though, but I am afraid that it would cause an issue with the company I work for.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,651 Views)
Why don't you change the security setting from locked to unlocked? Look at the text for locked. It says a user must unlock the VI to edit front panel or block diagram.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,640 Views)
The security option is all greyed out (the whole page is greyed), so I can not change anything.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,631 Views)
Without having the VI in front of me it is difficult to say exactly what settings you have turned on.
I would suggest trying the following things to get your VI out of run mode.

1) Ensure that "Open VIs in Run Mode" is turned off in Tools->Options->Miscellaneous
2) Open the VI by dragging it into another block diagram and double clicking on it
3) With the VI open hold down control and press the '.' key. This is the same as pressing the "Abort" button.
4) Hold down control and press 'M' to switch out of run mode

If you can reproduce the behavior in a VI which you are able to post on the forum, I am sure we will be able to figure out what steps are needed to edit the VI.

Scott Yellig
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 8 of 9
(3,616 Views)

HI,

I know it a very old post, but i found this post because i had the same problem.

Some of VIs where locked in "waiting to run mode" and i couldnt find why (no clone, no ctr+m, work when they are not opened in project, but work in project on anoher computer with another labview version....)

I finally found that my VIs are used in several xcontrols of my project and even if my VI is not located in this xcontrol i had to unlock all the xcontrols which calls my VIs to unlock them... (quite annoying because i need to unlock 3 xcontrols to modify them -_-)

If it can help! (i worked in LV2009 for this project) and if someone knows how to manage this?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,876 Views)