Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial rs-232

I have Keithley 6514 and trying to get data over rs-232. If you have same Labview VIs which cab be can modified, please send it to me. This VI will help me to get current data taken. Thanks.

S. Saygi
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,363 Views)
Hi,
below is a link to some Keithley 6514 instrument drivers:
http://www.keithley.com/main.jsp?action=keithleydownload&mn=6514&itemType=software%20drivers&clickPath=Download%20Center^software%20drivers^6514&role=Public+Download
"Only a life lived in the service to others is worth living..." - Albert Einstein
Message 2 of 12
(4,351 Views)
Hello,

You can also use the command set provided in the user manual for your instrument, and then simply use the NI-VISA functions provided in LabVIEW to open, configure, write, and read to the serial port in order to communicate with your instrument. The driver, of course, will provide what most view as a more user-friendly interface 🙂

Repost if you have additional questions!

Thank you,

JLS
Best,
JLS
Sixclear
Message 3 of 12
(4,338 Views)
I still having problem. I wrote my VI and it seems to me ok. Basically, when I run it after reset the instrument and the VI it gives me the word following.’’ KEITHLEY INSTRUMENTS INC.,MODEL 6514,0893334,A07 Nov 29 2000 11:08:20/A02 /? ’’. But in the second run ıt gives me the time error. Meaning that I can communicate with the instrument. How can I read the correct values from the buffer through the serial rs-232? I run the loopback.vi that having no problem.

In the VI, the read character is *IDN and termination is done by \r .Timeout value on VISA CONFIGURE SERİAL PORT is 500ms.

On the other hand my serial connection is done by HAND MADE cable that ıt has all pins go trougth like 1 to 1, 2 to 2 ....
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,310 Views)
Ssalih,

I have reviewed your screen shot.
You have two weaknesses in your code:
1. After having sent your command, your devices needs some time to perform the recquired action and respond. In the case of 'idn?' this may be a quite short period, but even than there is such. Conclusion: Insert a wait after VISA write.
2. You ask for 81 bytes to be read from your device. If the device is not sending those 81 bytes than VISA will issue its timeout error after 500 ms, as requested. Solution: Put a 'Byte at serial port' node befor VISA read and connect its output to byte count of VISA read.
Depending on your device's response it may be better to deactivate the termination character with a VISA property node.

HTH and
Greetings from Germany!
--
Uwe
Message 5 of 12
(4,305 Views)
Thanks for quick respond. İs there anyone can help me to write this up more closely? I try all suggestions but it doesn't work. Yes I need to more careful about ''the command set'' from the manual.

if I can find the sample VI I can modified. Thanks.

S. Saygi
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,269 Views)
After all suggestions ı got my poor VI as following. Working for to save into file and monitor the data, time vs. value, into front panel. Please help me about the saving and graphing/charting the data that I am trying to do. The application for KI6514, using rs-232 and instrument takes the data from buffer. Thanks.

ssalih
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,153 Views)
If all that you want to do is a read of the current, you should should put the command that resets the instrument and configures it outside your for loop. Do this only once and make sure that you have a wait after the command to make sure that the instrument is done resetting. Where you have your wait now, it may occur before or after the command is sent. You should also replace Old VISA Open with what's on the palette, put it outside the loop, and put the VISA Close outside. I can't save for 6.0 so I attached a picture with some of the mods. In case you wonder about the wait statement with error in/error out connections, it's on the Data Acquisition>Counter>Intermediate Counter palette.
Message 8 of 12
(4,138 Views)
Thanks Dennise. There is no problem with VI. It is running and ı can see the buffer read. The problem is saving the data into file and displaying it into a chart. My VI's screen look is following.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,098 Views)
I suspect that you're not formatting the data correctly for the chart. What do the instrument strings look like? Have you probed the input and output of your Spreadsheet String to Array? What does that look like? You could put some indicators there and capture the data and post your VI with some real data.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,086 Views)