Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial/parallel communication

i must generate five lines of a serial communication protocol.
clock: two pulse trains of 8 pulse of 4us each and 30us of pause.
data: two blocks of 8 bits during the 8 pulse of clock.
ack: a line to start the communication.
is it possible to realize such signals with a serial or parallel port on a PC using Labview or C or the timing specifications are too much critical ?
thanks.
david
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,881 Views)
I'm afraid the precise timing combined with the sync (clock) pretty much rules out a UART-based serial port. However you should be able to create such a waveform using some of NI's DIO boards.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,881 Views)
dear chris.
thank for your immediate answer.
i'm thinking to realize this timing with a DIO 32HS NI board.
i have red the user manual of this board and i think that it is right for my specification.
can you confirm my opinion ?
if you think that this board is not good for my application please suggest me an alternative solution.
hello.
david
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,881 Views)
I will have to admit that I am not an expert on the DIO boards. You may need to post your question in the Digital I/O discussion forum, or you may have a technical representative call you or help you via email. Sorry I couldn't directly answer your question!

Here is the link to the call request page: http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nicc.call_me?p_action=country&p_lang_id=US

PS - if for some reason you still can't get your question answered by the end of today, reply to this post and I'll track someone down for you.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,881 Views)