Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rs232

I won't let off the RS 232. I would like to communicate with an SPN 1 (Pyranometer). I use the Serial Port on my CRIo 9074

For the RS232 communication of the SPN 1

All digital information can be output via the RS232 port (9600,N,8,1). This can be used for reading the
sensor, as well as for production test and calibration functions.
Operating modes and Serial commands
The SPN1 can be interrogated from any serial port terminal program (eg Windows Hyperterminal, or
the Terminal screen in the SunRead software). Set the RS232 settings to 9600 baud, No parity, 8 Data
bits, 1 stop bit. In Hyperterminal, also set ‘Append line feeds to incoming line ends’ in Settings >
ASCII setup.
In the following tables, commands TO the sensor via RS232 are in bold, responses (also via RS232) are
in normal weight. All RS232 input characters are echoed back except for the ‘R’ command.
For commands with more than one input character, a command is abandoned if the input is not within
appropriate range, or 1 minute after a keypress. Unrecognised and aborted commands return ‘?’.
Sleep mode
Processor is in its lowest power state.
If the sensor is asleep when the DL-POWER pin goes high, then the sensor will wakeup and start to
output the analogue values, as described above.
Any RS232 input will wake the sensor up for long enough to respond to the command. The suggested
procedure is to send an ‘R’, wait for the ‘»’ response, then send the desired command, and wait for the
terminating <CR>.
RS232 Input /  Response   
R  / » (ASCII 175)  For BF3 compatibility

I've deleted the Read/Write Controls in the continous serial write read.vi (example See attachment), checked the serial settings and the compatibility of the cables, meaning RX-TX and vice versa. The instrument should be powered through the serial.

Is this a possible problem?

The IO Trace file is attached as well.

What is wrong, any hints?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,471 Views)
Please use a standard zip file and yes, powering an instrument from the serial port is unusual and could be the source of the problem. Try connecting to a normal port with the recommended terminal emulation programs. I don't use a cRIO so I don't know what the specs for the port are.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,458 Views)

I've started using the 7zip because of the forum often not accepting my zip files.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,431 Views)

Using an USB-RS232 Converter and the firmware for the instrument worked at starting point.

I've checked the Compact Rio connection with a RS232 Pocket Tester and the DTR line was bright green. So I think concerning the voltage level it's fine.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,423 Views)