From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remote VISA version compatability and port number

I have a target machine running VISA Server 1.0. I was able to see the VISA resources from my development computer while it had VISA Server 1.0 on it. When I added LabVIEW 7 Express to the development machine, it installed MAX 3.0 and VISA Server 3.0. I can no longer see the target machine from MAX, but I can still ping it. Two questions:
1. Is there a compatibility problem between versions of VISA Server or MAX?
2. What port number does VISA Server 1.0 listen on?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,928 Views)
Allen:

The problem with the earlier VISA server 1.0 (from NI-VISA 2.6) was that it listened on the same port as the NI-DAQ server (port 12405). We changed not only the port but also some protocol details, so the NI-VISA 2.6 server will not be able to handle calls from a client with NI-VISA 3.0.

The NI-VISA 3.0 server, on the other hand, will accept calls from both NI-VISA 2.6 and 3.0 clients. The new default port number is 3537, so you will need to modify any 3.0 client and server to use port 12405 if you need backward compatibility with 2.6 clients.

You modify the server port in the configuration utility (MAX or visaconf). The client can specify the port in the URL:
visa://:/

Dan Mondrik
Senior Software Engineer, NI-
VISA
National Instruments
Message 2 of 2
(2,928 Views)