From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reading RPM of a motor

could someone help me how to read speed from a motor. I tried to built one using the example on the help menu but I get either 1 or 0. this motor runs up to 400 RPM and I want the vi to dispaly me the exact reading. there are three wires coming from the motor. one power ,one ground and the other speed sensor. when I looked some examples they use "AO voltage" on the "DAQmx create channel". do I need any analog function to build?
I am using labview 7.0 and pci-6602.
thanks
casu
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,691 Views)
Hi casu,

Since you have a 6602, you will not be able to us analog measurements. The 6602 is a counter timer card. So you will need to measure the RPM of your motor using a counter.

The speed sensor of the motor should output a square wave whose frequency is dependent on the speed of the motor. If it does not output a square wave, you will have a problem. The 6602 can only input TTL logic signals (high/low, square waves).

In LabVIEW go to Help >> Find Examples >> Hardware Input and Output >> DAQmx >> Counter Measurements >> Digital Frequency

In here you will see several examples. Start with Meas Dig Frequency - Low Freq 1 Ctr.vi

Connect your signal to the gate input of your counter. Run the program and you will see that it gives you the frequency of the input square wave.

Check out the other examples in that directory to do high freq, high range or buffered measurements.

-Sal
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,680 Views)