Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with RS 232 communication with VISA 3.0 under windows 2000 pro

I am trying to communicate with an instrument (IL1700 radiometer) connected via RS 232 to a PC running windows 2000 pro and Labview7 Express. In a VISA session, I tried a basic *IDN? query and I got an error BFFF003E. If I try to read from the device, I get some non sense answer (see screenshots attached). Is it a software or hardware problem? does someone know exactly what error BFFF003e means? I also encountered error BFFF0015, where can I find a description of all the visa error using this nomenclature ?
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,188 Views)
I believe BFFF003E is VI_ERROR_IO and BFFF0015 is VI_ERROR_TMO (timeout). The list of VISA errors can be found in the LabVIEW help (search for VISA Error Codes). Also, in the error out control you can right click on the error and select "explain error" which will give you an english version of what's going on as well as a handy tool for looking up VISA error codes.

IO error sounds like a baudrate or parity configuration problem, and the timeout means that a read/write timed out (not enough data received for example). I would double check your port settings as well as open NI Spy to see what's going on with the port.
Message 2 of 3
(3,188 Views)
thank you for your answer, it was a baudrate configuration problem as you suggested
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,188 Views)