From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem recognizing agilent 54621d using serial comm to labview

why is it that labview cannot recognize my agilent 54621d oscilloscope when i interface it using serial communication. but i already downloaded the sub vi or vi for agilent. pls. help thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,858 Views)
Could you provide some details on what exactly you mean by "cannot recognize"? Do you get a specific error when you try to use the driver or does it just not respond to a command you issue? I've only used the driver with GPIB and have no problems there but I'm not sure the driver is written for serial. I know NI's web page says it is, but I don't see anything in there that sets the serial port. I have not tried to redownload so it's possible that I have a downlevel version but there's usually some code in the initialize function to set com paramaters and termination character. Cehck the manual and see if the scope requires a LF or CR at the end of the command string when using the serial port. The driver that I have does not add that. Try a simple VISA Write of *IDN? with either or both characters and see if you get a response. If you would like to look at a driver that I know supports both serial and GPIB, download the driver for the HP34970A. In the Initialize function of that driver, you can see how to set com port and term character. Adding this to the scope driver is simple.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,852 Views)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Could you provide some details on what exactly you mean by "cannot recognize"? Do you get a specific error when you try to use the driver or does it just not respond to a command you issue? I've only used the driver with GPIB and have no problems there but I'm not sure the driver is written for serial. I know NI's web page says it is, but I don't see anything in there that sets the serial port. I have not tried to redownload so it's possible that I have a downlevel version but there's usually some code in the initialize function to set com paramaters and termination character. Cehck the manual and see if the scope requires a LF or CR at the end of the command string when using the serial port. The driver that I have does not add that. Try a simple VISA Write of *IDN? with either or both characters and see if you get a response. If you would like to look at a driver that I know supports both serial and GPIB, download the driver for the HP34970A. In the Initialize function of that driver, you can see how to set com port and term character. Adding this to the scope driver is simple.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

actually i'm a newbie here. yes i'm trying the VISA write of *IDN? and with termination character of \n or \r. it gives me execution timeout. VISA status code bfff0015
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,845 Views)
There's so many things that can go wrong with serial communication. My best advice is to first try using Hyperterminal to communicate. Once you've done that, you know the cable and comm settings are correct. Then try using MAX to send the same command. If Hyperterminal and MAX both work and you have problems in LabVIEW, then double check that you're sending the actual control character (\n or \r) and not the separate characters "\" and "n".
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,842 Views)