Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please explain error -1

I'm using VISA to read and write data on a 3rd party card.  I keep getting error -1 when I use VISA In 32.  What exactly does this mean?  I am using PXI Memory Allocations for my address space.

I'm running LV RT 10.0 with VISA 5.0 on a PXI 8106.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,610 Views)

Can you share your code?

I've never seen an error code -1.  Error code 1 is usually an invalid reference.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,579 Views)

-1 would be an instrument specific error.  What is the instrument?  (and Why are you using low level functions?)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,567 Views)

@faustina wrote:

I'm using VISA to read and write data on a 3rd party card.  I keep getting error -1 when I use VISA In 32.  What exactly does this mean?  I am using PXI Memory Allocations for my address space.

I'm running LV RT 10.0 with VISA 5.0 on a PXI 8106.

Do you get any other message along with this error? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,556 Views)

In my application I do several reads and writes with VISA functions.  It turns out that if you don't have the correct logic to calculate offset for one VISA call, it throws all the others out of wack.  Figuring out which call caused the initial problem was not easy. But I found the error in the last call.  Now no more -1 error.  thank you all for your inputs

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,532 Views)