Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opening vi's in main vi

Hi,

i am having trouble with my labview programs.They used to work fine untill now...
The programs are event driven, you can select a function on the front panel of the main vi which will open a subvi where additional tasks can be done.
Problem is that the subvi's pop-up but you can not
control them, so they kinda run in the background.
You can only click in the front panel of the main vi
but this doesn't do much since there is the subvi whish is being executed (actually waiting to be executed). I had a look a the event driven examples supplied with Labview and they worked fine, i checked all the settings of the sub vi's used and compared them with the subvi's I wrote and there was no difference..
Also I don't use any call by reference
or whatever as this is clearly not neccesary, check examples.

Anyone???

Tx a lot

Bye for now
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,715 Views)
Hi there,

1. If you are trying to control the front panel of a subVI that is fired by an event:

I just created a little example where an event structure triggers a SubVI. You can change the numeric control on the front panel with no problem at all.

Make sure that the VI properties of your subVI are correct. Go to the Window Appearance and customize your window. Make sure that the settings "Close afterwards if originally closed" and "Show Front Panel when called" are checked.

2. If you are trying to control a subVI from the mainVI, than you have two options:

* Use VI server to control the VI
* Use the SubPanel Control to display the front panel of the subVI on the mainVI and control it from the mainVI.

If this doesn't answer your question, tha
n please reply with a little example that reproduces the problem or give a more specific explaination.

Regards.

Joris VAnderschrick
Applications engineer
NIBE
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,715 Views)