From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

on 1st read of device: ibrd ERR TIMO CMPL EABO

I am using the Visual C++ 32 bit language interface for GPIB to communicate with a HP8920 & HP8922 Cellular test systems on the same GPIB connection.

My problem is that whenver I start my application, the first read to the HP8922 (After first doing CGPIBDevice.Open and CGPIBDevice.Write) always gives me the following GpibError:
ibrd Error ibsta=&Hc100
iberr = 6 EABO
ibcntl = 0

All I am trying to do is write the *IDN? command to the device and read it back. After I get the error message, if I try again it will work fine. The error only happens the very first time I attempt to read from the HP8922. If I start the application and try and read from the HP8920, I dont get that error. An
y ideas what my problem might be and how to fix it?

Thanks so much,
Ezra
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,176 Views)
Ezra,

I recommend that you try communicating with your instruments through Measurement And Automation Explorer. Clicking "query" with the default "*IDN?" string should, of course, cause the device to respond with its identification information. If this works every time, then there is most likely a small flaw in the logic of your program. Perhaps the first time you run the program you are not sending the proper termination character? Also, always be sure to include a brief delay between any GPIB writes and reads as instruments need some time to respond. Finally, if you're using LabVIEW 7.0, you could try using the Instrument I/O Assistant to query the HP devices. It's definitely a useful feature that especially simplifies parsing of instrument responses.

Thanks!

Alan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,176 Views)