From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no response from GPIB instrument after upgrading to LabView 7 express

After upgrading to LV 7.0 from 6.1,I get no response to the *IDN? query from my GPIB instrument (E-710 digital PZT controller from Physik instrumente). My PC runs windows 2000 pro and I have NI 488.2 version 1.70. Is it because the card was installed before the upgrade ? do I have to reinstall something ?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,486 Views)
This should get your system working:
- Uninstall you GPIB card from Device Manager
- Uninstall the NI-488.2 driver from Add/Remove Programs
- Reboot and cancel out of the "Found New Hardware Popup"
- Install the NI-488.2 version 2.1
- Reboot

Note: NI-488.2 version 1.70 was released about two years ago, so it does not have support for LabVIEW 7.0.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,486 Views)
Sorry Ray, but the statement that NI-488.2 version 1.70 does not support for LabVIEW 7.0 is ***SIMPLY NOT TRUE***.

Anne, is it possible that things were configured a certain way with the LabVIEW 6.1 in the Configuration utility (a.k.a. Properties) or Device Template? Because if NI-488.2 was configured with settings other than the default with LabVIEW 6.1, and if NI-488.2 was reinstalled at the time LabVIEW 7.0 was installed, everything is reset back to its default settings.

Perhaps if you have NI Spy capturing while it scans for the instrument and then tries to send the IDN qurey to the instrument might yield some clues. You can attach the Spy output file here. Instructions on how to use Spy can be found at:

NI Spy

Hope this information helps.

gpibtester
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,486 Views)
My mistake, I was thinking of the behavior of NI CAN drivers, which require support for individual versions of LabVIEW (see screenshot), whereas NI-488.2 has generalized LabVIEW support.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,486 Views)
sorry for this late reply, I attached a screenshot of the NI spy capture

thanks,
Anne
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,486 Views)
If your instrument responded to the IDN query (*idn?) before upgrading, but stopped responding properly after upgrading (as shown in the attached file), the Device Template probably is not configured for proper termination for that particular instrument. Some instruments require a certain type of termination, as described in:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde4322fef19862567740067f3cc/a80dbfccac36ebde862562c80058856e?OpenDocument

You should refer to the manual for the instrument to see if it needs a certain type of termination. Then to configure the proper termination method in the Device Template in Windows 2000, please refer to the Termination Methods as outlined in the URL listed below:

http://www.ni.com/support/gpib
/max/tips2000.htm

Hope this information helps!

gpibtester
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,486 Views)