From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help to connect my data logger via the serial port

Hello there,

I just started to use LabView and need a bit help to connect my Agilent 34970a logger with my computer.

I run the LabView version 6.1 and connect the logger via the serial port to my notebook. I can see the logger with the measurement and automation explorer and I’m able to communicate with the device per VISA Session.

Then I installed the drivers in LabView so that I should be able to run the examples of the driver package but I always get an error that LabView can’t find the device.

The error code is Hex 0xBFFF003A and the funny thing that I get exactly the same error if I run the VI with a disconnected logger.

Because of this fact I think that my problem is a connection thing but I can’t find my mistake and couldn’t find any information in the manuals or in old forum messages.

Does anyone have an idea how I can check my connection or know maybe my mistake because unfortunately I run out of ideas to solve it by my own?

Thanks a lot

Regards

stiff

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,010 Views)
hi stiff master,

i want refer you to the following linsk:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/166200887455792786256fe3006901ae

http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/niepd_web_display.display_epd4?p_guid=E67ED8E9BA553F06E0340003BA230ECF&p_node=DZ52282&p_source=External

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,995 Views)

Hallo TimoS,

Thanks a lot for your replay!!!

Your first link I read already before I wrote my question into the forum but unfortunately is the customer application example, in this link, for a Logger with Matrix Card and I’ve got a 20 Channel Multiplexer Card. I did all the other things similar to this advice but I do work, I always get the failure that my connection isn’t right!

Your second link was new for me but this VI’s just work with a proper communication between PC and logger.

Do you have another tip for me how I can check the connection? Or maybe you need more information to get a picture of the situation; just let me know!

Thank you very much for your effort and I hope to here soon from you.

Cheers Chris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,982 Views)
hi,

you can use the visa test panel in the max

regards timo
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,968 Views)

Good day Timo,

Thanks for your awesome advice! When I read you mail I was surprised that you talk about a VISA Test Panel because didn’t saw this at my MAX. Then I could remind me when I was trying to update my MAX I had always a connection problem to the NI server. So that I tried it again; with success! I’ve got the new NI-VISA with VISA Test Panel and now I can use my Logger with LabView. It’s really funny because my old VISA wasn’t that old all setting are similar! However, that’s not my business anymore.

I thank you very much for your outstanding efforts!

Hang loose

chris

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,956 Views)