Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

n6700 query voltage/current settings via property mode

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to query back the voltage and current settings on the power modules in my N7600 chassis.  I am using this routine.  I get the following error.  This works fine with my E363x power supplies

error message.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,775 Views)

routine.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,772 Views)
And this is with the driver from agilent that you mention at http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/n6700-query-max-current-is-timing-out/td-p/29... ?

p.s. your code could use some clean-up. A stacked sequence structure should not be used.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,760 Views)

You have the wrong driver.  The N6700 series power supplies have extra data that goes into the command string to state which supply it is to command.  This is because the N6700 holds 4 power supplies.  The E363x supplies are just a single supply, so it doesn't have the addressing that the N6700 does.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 10
(5,758 Views)

I would go with this VISA driven driver instead of the IVI driver: http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=6EEA8B6A8FEC4F05E04400144FB7D2...

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,756 Views)

Yes, this is with the correct driver... same module.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,750 Views)

I need the IVI driver because I am not sure what power supply will be used.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,748 Views)
I don't see why that makes a difference. You can easily call different LabVIEW drivers based on an initial query. You are going to have to modify your code in any case to accommodate the differences between the supplies and the additional information required for the 6700.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,743 Views)

@Muffin wrote:

I need the IVI driver because I am not sure what power supply will be used.

Which means you need a Hardware Abstraction Layer.  IVI is supposed to be one.  So something is messed up when you initialize your driver then.  There should be a setting or something to state which supply you are trying to talk to.

I have an interesting OOP solution that worked pretty well with the N6700 (mainframe) and N5700 (single how power) series supplies.  So it is possible, but you need to make sure your initialization is correct.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,740 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Muffin

It is working now.  I had to add the "active channel" to the node with the voltage and current requests.  I had it this way originally so I am not sure why it didn't work.  Perhaps I still had the old broken  driver.. thought I had the new one already when I tried that.  Anyways, it is all working fine now.  I can swap what physical supply is used in MAX without the code ever knowing the difference.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,736 Views)