Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple GPIB controller sharing single instrument

I am using labview 6i currently and I am trying to have two computer (with GPIB controller) send command to one instrument (GPIB listener). It gave me error and somehow one controller lock down the communication between the controller and the instrument, and result error for both controller. I don't think I need to use GPIB-ENET (Seems that it allows multiple controller to send command to single instrument) since the computer and instruments are in the same room and just a table away. So my question would be how to have two controller to share one instrument? Could we fix this in software side (labview program), or I have to use different hardware? Thank you for your guidance.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,216 Views)
this has been handled in another thread.
I don't know exactly where.

the essention follows:
only connect one pc to the instrument.
You can use VISA to controll via the one pc that normally is connected to the instrument.
all other methods require a careful make one pc master on the bus and the other one slave because no two master may exist at the same time.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,193 Views)
You can install GPIB switch between A&B, once you're on this computer rotate A GPIB is connected to instrument directly.  If you are on other PC rotate the switch to B.  But both computer has to install GPIB card.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,158 Views)