From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modifying instrument driver

Hi,
I am a beginner in labview programming. Curerntly I am developing a program to interface my instrument (HP4192A impedance analyser) with my pc through GPIB-USB interface. Curerntly I am using the instrument driver that I download from NI website.

I can generally get the information from the instrument. However I have a minor problem in utilising this driver.
For your information the instrument has 3 displays, namely display A, B and C. A and B is used to display measurement data while C display the set up parameter.
In the instrument driver it only able to read the display A and B.

My query is how to modify the instrument driver such that I can also read the display C and How to modify the icon as well as creating additional ter
minal (in the icon) for display C indicator?

Many thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,831 Views)
Dedi,

driver programming (as driver modification in fact is) is not the easiest step to begin with. But anyhow, most of your Qs are simple if one knows how to:
* Check if you can open the driver by doubleclicking its icon. If not you have no chance. Else...
* Check how the information for display A & B is gathered and if the infor for C is also there. If required add code to gather this info (this is the hard part!).
* Add a display on the front panel (FP) of the modified driver and modify it to display all required info for C.
* On the block diagram (BD) connect the output of the gathered infos for C with the terminal of the new display.
* On the FP right-click onto the VIs icon, choose 'show connectors'. Choose the wiring tool, click on any free connector pad
(right-click 'add connection' if necessary) and than on the new display.
* Again right-click on the icon, choose 'show Icon'. Double-click on it and the icon-editor opens.

FINALLY DON'T FORGET TO SAVE AS A NEW VI, as this preserves the primary vi as well as your modification (in case you update or repair the primary driver).

You may have a look at www.searchview.net for a quite good LabVIEW-FAQ and and the discussion list Info-LabVIEW.

HTH!
--
Uwe
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,831 Views)
THanks Lul..
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,831 Views)