Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is hp-ib the same as gp-ib?

we need to replace our old isa hp-ib cards for controlling Hewlet Packard Gas chromatographs 5890 and Mass Spectometers 5971 & 2
Message 1 of 9
(15,606 Views)
HPIB is HP's version of the IEEE 488 interface. GPIB is the same thing from other companies. While they do the same job, there are always little differences between boards built by different companies.

One thing to watch (if you plan on using the same programs) is that PCI GPIB boards use the GPIB-32.dll while older ISA boards use the GPIB.dll. Some companies provide a GPIB.dll that just calls the appropriate function in the GPIB-32.dll. Some companies do not. This is one that you may wish to research compatibility on.

If you're starting with all new programming then you'll find that some GPIB boards are easier to program for and better supported (like the NI GPIB boards) than others (like the HPIB boards).

Have fun with it.

Rob
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(15,604 Views)

Message Edited by IEC on 07-31-2005 02:47 PM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(15,517 Views)
I am currently using multiple gpib devices for a research application and want to include the use of an hpib device;

I use two SR830 Lock-In Amplifiers, an SR570 Current Preamp(RS232), and a proprietary device (Parallel)...  I want to use an older model HP Multimeter (3478A) however, its communication method is via HPIB.  The connector is obviously the same as GPIB, but when I run the 'NI Measurement and Automation Explorer' to start messing with the device, the HPIB HP DMM seems to conflict with one of my lock-ins.

I have the HPIB @ address 24
GPIBs @ 8 & 9

The HPIB conflicts with the GPIB @ 9 so that if the HPIB multimeter is turned on I cannot communicate with my GPIB.

Can anyone help me in trying to resolve this?  Can I communicate with a legacy HPIB device through my GPIB network that interfaces into a PCI GPIB card?

(I think there's more 3 and 4 letter abreviations here than in a government report!)

Thanks for the help,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(15,518 Views)
When the Hewlett-Packard Interface Bus was formalized into IEEE-488 ~30 years ago, the name became GPIB (General Purpose Interface Bus). Unless your instrument is very, very old, the two terms are interchangeable. I have a couple of old testers with a 3478 and they work just fine with an NI GPIB board and a couple of other instruments. MAX should be able to detect the instrument but it will not respond to the IDN? query. That command was not standardized until 1987 with IEEE-488. A couple of things to try is to power down the instrument and change the address. There is a dip swithc on the back for setting the instrument. Other than the address setting, all other switches should be in the down position. You could also disconnect all other instruments and try communicating to the 3478 alone to see if it works.
Message 5 of 9
(15,507 Views)
Thanks for the help, I was able to hook it up to the GPIB network.  I found a nice quick read that led me to enabling a .dll file (i forget which now) in the ni automation thingy.  Getting the interface cmds was a little bit tougher but I eventually found those as well and now have it all hooked up and running! Thanks.

Jonathan
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(15,488 Views)
I have been writing VB-6 code using NI-VISA... My code works quite well with *modern* GPIB equipment. However, I am having trouble translating the HPIB Command Syntax used for the HP 8902 and HP 8903...

They do not seem to use the same "?" query structure as I am used to and it is driving me crazy.

(Doesn't help that when the docs were written HP *never* in a million years thought anyone elses Controller, Basic or Cards would control their equipment!)

Can anyone give me a simple few lines of how to get a measurement from the 8903 using 'normal' syntax?

It's got to be !simple! Duh!  ©¿©

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(14,995 Views)
Hello SpiritualMadMan,

Sometimes, a good place to start can be the product manual - you've probably already seen this, but I was able to find one for the 8903A (there were also manuals for the E and B versions) here.  In the manual there should be details about the specific codes to use for that specific instrument.   You could then apply them to the code you're using. 

Good Luck with your application,

Meghan
Applications Engineer
Message 8 of 9
(14,967 Views)
I have just been attempting (today) to pgm the 8903 as well (in VB6/xp). As this device is very old and predates the GPIB standard it does not use any ? commands that I can tell. I have got to the stage of being able to issue cmds to the unit (change ranges etc) and reading measurements (using cmd "M1" for read mV)

The device seems to use an odd EOT/EOS terminator (im getting 2 sets of readings in the results string), times out before returning to the host (EOT again?) needs pauses etc, but it does sort of work!

Im using the NI vb code for the fluke mm example as the basis for my test pgm, changing parameters as necesary. Hope this helps.

Clive
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(14,742 Views)