From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*idn? problem

I use GPIB-USB-HS, and send *IDN? in MAX to Agilent N3300A, but it response a series binary array instead of string. anyone know why ?

other instruments no problem. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,479 Views)
The response is "binary information receiving..." , just like this:http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A9D41E0F5F7F75DB86256AE300774595 but the link do not give the solution
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,469 Views)
Does this happen with any query, or just *IDN? That page actually provides two possible steps to take. I can add one more: Have you verified that you don't have an address conflict? I've seen this kind of thing occur when two instruments were set to the same GPIB address. You may also want to check to make sure it's not related to bad cabling, as I've seen that cause this as well. Try to move your cables around to see if the problem follows a cable.
Message 3 of 4
(3,445 Views)

I've had both bad cables and old, non- 488.2 compliant equipment cause this problem.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,937 Views)