Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ibrd returns correct count of chars but 4 first char always "? At"

I have PCI-GPIB installed on dual boot PC with Windows XP + SP2 and Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition + SP1 with latest NI latest software for GPIB.
I have no communication issues on Windows XP.
But on Server 2003 side the ibrd command returns to me my last written string always overlaid with "? At" (3F 20 41 74) at the start.
The count of char is always right and i dont see any errors otherwise.
Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,791 Views)
Just a note, I reverted installation from 2.3 to 1.7 version of NI488-2 (original CD which came with the PCI-GPIB card) and the problem went away. I should probably just pass this issue back to NI support ppl.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,780 Views)
Well, that is an odd error you are getting with the latest GPIB driver, but it is perhaps most closely linked to the fact that Windows Servers aren't officially supported OS'. We do know of customers that had Windows Server 2000 where the drivers for a Windows 2000 PC worked well on the server, but once again the Server is technically not a supported OS. Anyhow, the latest driver for XP should probably work for the Windows Server 2003, however it has not been tested by NI.

To clarify, every single response from your GPIB device included "? At" at the beginning? Does that include testing in MAX or LabVIEW or is it just with IBIC?

Logan S.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,772 Views)
We have sent from IBIC different ibwrt strings of different length
(from a different PC running XP and 1.7, the two GPIBs are connected together without no other instruments)
and used ibrd 255 to retrieve it on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise + SP1 from both MAX abd IBIC with always the same result:

you send using ibwrt from Server PC to XP pc "abcdef1234567": it is received correctly.
you then send using ibwrt from XP PC to Server PC "testing 1 2 3": you actually get "? Atef1234567",
i.e. previously sent string with 4 first characters replaced by "? At"
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,768 Views)