Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hp4142b not responding to gpib write/read function

Realise this thread is old, but a copy of the VI would definately help me as well as struggling with the 4142B

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(1,481 Views)

Hi jsexton,

Since this thread is old, please start a new thread and post your question. I think you'll find more success that way.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(1,457 Views)

I have developed this application. My application was custom made for our requirement.

Explain about your 4142b. Including the modules, slot position, 2wire or 4 wire connection etc.

Please go through the 4142-programming guide. HP/ Agilent 4142b programming manual will explain the instrument communication using HPIB and HP BASIC Programs. We need to just rewrite the code in to a LabVIEW program. 

Send the VI that you have made along with your email. I will correct it if possible.

Or i will make a simple VI for resistor measurement.

This will be starting guide for you

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(1,446 Views)

I have developed this application. My application was custom made for our requirement.

Explain about your 4142b. Including the modules, slot position, 2wire or 4 wire connection etc.

Please go through the 4142-programming guide. HP/ Agilent 4142b programming manual will explain the instrument communication using HPIB and HP BASIC Programs. We need to just rewrite the code in to a LabVIEW program. 

Send the VI that you have made along with email. I will correct it if possible.

@jsexton wrote:

Realise this thread is old, but a copy of the VI would definately help me as well as struggling with the 4142B

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(1,444 Views)

@41412b wrote:

Send the VI that you have made along with email. I will correct it if possible.

@jsexton wrote:

Dear 4142,

I am very new to Labview and attempting to connect the HP4142B DC source for device characterization, basically simple resistance measurements and a current source. The 4142 hasa GNDU, 1 high power and 1 medium power SMU, I believe in channel 0,1 and 2 respectively. I have produced a very basic labview program, but I obtain no response from the 4142 when requesting the *IDN?\n command. I have used NI spy to check the commands to and from the unit from my program and the open Visa test panel. The only difference I can see is that the test panel uses commands viOpen() and the labview program uses VISA open etc. Can this be the only problem and if so how can I force labview to use the Vi statements. I am attaching three files. The first show the response from the 4142 using NI spy. The first three lines are from the Visa test panel requesting IDN, whereas the last three lines are from the labview program (default_instrument_setup). The final 4142 IDN is a more conventional setup. Are you able to assist as once this connection issue is resolved, the rest of the programming should be more easy (I hope)...  Any assitance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(1,431 Views)

jsexton,

Some older HP4142B instruments do not respond to the *IDN? command.  I would try a simple comman like open and close the module output relay to test your ability to talk to the instrument.  You should be able to here the relay operate.

Bob

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(1,366 Views)