From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hp 3311 A function generator GPIB

Hi, I've a Hp 3311 A function generator and I'd like to control it by GPIB. I'd tested with the example in labview "GPIB.vi" but when i send it a command, pej "APPL:smileyfrustrated:IN 1.0E+3, 3.0, -2.5" it doesn't work (It makes only a sound "Bip" ).

Does anyone knows why the function generator doesn't generate the signal?

Note: When i send it the command IND?, the instrument returns the name "Hp 3311A", but when i send another command it doesn't work.

Thanks. Regards, peliasrojo.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,600 Views)
The beep from the instrument indicates an error in the command you sent. Instead of using that example, I would recommend using the VISA test panel in MAX.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,583 Views)

Are you SURE that is a 3311A and you didn't typo a digit?

That guy is so old I had to double check.  It has no remote interface.  It is possible that one was made available as an option in some years.  The interface would not be SCPI compliant

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,571 Views)

Yes, you are rigth. The model is HP 33120A.

I can change the signal (ramp, square, etc) buy I don't be able to change the parametres (frequency, amplitude, etdc).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,548 Views)
Are you using the driver? Help>Find Instrument Drivers.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,544 Views)

Hi. I don't use the drivers, I'm using the example GPIB-VISA. I'm be able to change the type of function (sin, square, etc) but when i try change the frequency or the others parameters it doesn't work.

I've attached the program (v2011). The program only tries to apply a square signal with visa commands.

The manual shows an example of a sine function: "APPL:SIN 5.0E+3, 3.0, -2.5" that generates a sine function of 5kHz, 3Vpp and an offset of -2.5V.

Thanks, regards Peliasrojo

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,516 Views)
Use the driver. It does not make any sense to me for you to completely discard the use of code that has already been written/debugged. At least you should be trying out and seeing the differences. If the driver cannot set the instrument, then post back.

If you still insist on recreating the wheel, don't write any code. Debug with the VISA test panels. Questions about commands should be referred to agilent.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,513 Views)