Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use an instrument driver?

HI everyone , well I´m student of Mexico doing my final project of Electronic Engineer, so this is my question. I need to get full control of an instrument of the optical laboratory (Optic Spectrum Analyser 86143B Agilent ) , for now I could get connection with this instrument using  MAX (Measurement & Automation Explorer)  creating a VISA TCPIP resource, then I could send commands to this instrument opening a VISA session, but also, I have downloaded an instrument driver for the control of such instrument ( see the file attached) but i don't know how to use it, and also don't know if i could get full control of this instrument, and front panel view of the same instrument. Could anyone please help me.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(4,429 Views)

Hi

See a driver as a set of subroutines that make it easier to communicate in a higher level with the instrument. Instead of having to know the commands to communicate with the instruments you now need to know what subroutine you need to use to get something done by the instrument.

To start you have to open the intrument and the initialize routine also  checks is the right instrument available at the other end of the cable and also puts the instrument in  a known state. Other subroutines control the setting of the parameters inside the OSA and again others are used to read the data from a measurement.

But first of all you need to know whta you want to do in what order.

succes

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(4,425 Views)

Hi,

I noticed that you have found out a way to integrate the Agilent 86143B with the computer. We are trying to do a project on the same and we were unsuccessful in downloading a driver to do that.

Could you please help us out by guiding us, what steps should we take successfully communicate the PC to the OSA?

Thank you.

Ashly Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(3,668 Views)

Where did you search?

I found one in the instrument driver net from NI

It is a LabWindows driver but you can convert it to a LabVIEW driver.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(3,666 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(3,660 Views)

Hi, Nethelands

I just start working on my PC-Agilent 8164A (USB/GPIB) control. First of all, i realized LabWindows can be converted to Labview driver. I will figure out a way how to do it cos i downloaded Agilent 8164A (LabWindow driver) and don't know how to use it either.

Btw, if not using this higher level communication to the instrument (by using driver), how can i use GPIB commands directly?

1) The USB/GPIB hardware is from Agilent, i installed succefully; NI MAX visa has inclued Tulip Visa and i can see the instrument through NI VISA;

2) Through Aglient I/O i can send command (eg. turn on laser) successfult; however there is always a timeout error when i tried to do the same command through NI Max. 

I found very few samples from LabView 8.2 related to my application. Could you help?

Tina

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(3,635 Views)

Hi

use visa and don't forget endcharacters.

try a few commands and see if it works, and report the result

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(3,629 Views)

Hi NYC, 

I downloaded it but since I'm using Windows 7 it doesn't let me install it. What could I do in this case??

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(3,618 Views)

just what I did complain to Agilent.

due to the download I got an email from agilent and in a reply I complained.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(3,615 Views)

@fxa7365 wrote:

Hi NYC, 

I downloaded it but since I'm using Windows 7 it doesn't let me install it. What could I do in this case??

Thanks!!

I am on XP. I didn't know you were on Win7. Try installing the drivers in "Windows XP-compatibility mode". http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-compatibility-mode/

The "interesting" thing I noticed is that all of Agilent's optical spectrum analyzers are Discontinued. There isn't one available for purchase new.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(3,612 Views)