From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to post a message

Respected Sir, 

We have recently purchased the  Varispec Liquid Crystal Tunable Filter from Cambridge Research and  Instrumentation Inc. and  have installed Vs Gui Program which is the demonstration software in  my OPS(Windows Vista) and found working properly. CRI has provided with lab view files, VS getting started and five sub VI files namely VS reset, VS wavelength,VS define, VS palette,VS version. In order to control the Varispec LCTF using lab view files ie, VS Getting started is used after installation of Lab view. When the connect function of the front panel is initiated and the COM port address is also given the LCTF is not responding. What is the instrument address and is it the visa resource name,ASRL given to the VS Getting started?    Any sub VI files are also needed for controlling the LCTF with VS getting started.How to find out the function of the instrument by analysing the block diagram ? Could you please help me to trouble shoot the problem?

Sincerely
 Aparna
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,669 Views)

As with all things serial, you need to start with the basics. Verify that the com settings (baud, parity, etc) match in both the program and in the hardware. Verify that you are using the correct type of cable. There are two general types - null-modem and straight through.

Before running the driver, you can check with a program like Hyperterminal. If it works there, then you can try the driver and that should work the same.

The VISA Resource Name has to match the serial port that you are connected to. Depending on the settings, the control will either show the canonical names (ASRL1::INSTR) or not (i.e. COM1). The little arrow on the right side of the control allows you to select from all of the ports available on your system.

When you run the VI, it is also important to note any error codes that might be reported.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,653 Views)

Respected Sir,

The COM port address is given as shown in the device manager. The Getting Started VI file is initialised and the block diagram does not show any error message. When the filter is viewed against the tube light the filter is not responding to the specific wavelength given in the front panel.Since the error message is not shown is the liquid crystal tunable filter  working properly or any change should be made to the getting started lab view files.How to trouble shoot  the problem?

Respectfully

Aparna

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,635 Views)

Your com port name should be what is given in MAX and not necessarily in device manager but since you don't get an error, the name is probably correct.

Did you oerform all of the troubleshooting steps I suggested? Check the type of cable? A wrong cable or wrong com settings will not result in an error when you write to a com port. Did you try Hyperterminal?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,622 Views)
Respected Sir,
       A wrong cable or wrong com settings will not result in an error when you write to a com port.Actually what is the meaning of writing to a com port.  No I did n't tried hyper terminal.  

Sincerely
Aparna
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,598 Views)

Hi, is your's problem get solved ? I too need the Sub-Vis for USB based LCTF. Do you have them? please help me.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,971 Views)