Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to know the GPIB address of instrument?

I have a Prologix GPIB-USB connected with an Anritsu power meter ML9001a. In the Prologix webpage, it says to communicate with an instrument in Labview, 

Send ++addr X terminated with Line Feed, where X is the GPIB address of the instrument.

I checked tha datasheet of power meter, it didn't mention GPIB address. So how can I know the GPIB address? I conctacted their company and got no reply. Do I need to try from 0 to 30(max value)??:womansad:

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(15,651 Views)

The actual allowed range should be 1 to 32.  0 is the controller.

Every instrument I have seen has some way of setting the GPIB address, either with switches in the back or through a menu.  Most instruments usually flash the GPIB address on start up.  So you might be able to just turn off the supply and turn it back on and it will show you the address.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 6
(15,648 Views)

Hi,

I checked the power meter again and it didn't flash GPIB address when starting up. But there is a switch at the back, is this the GPIB address? If it is, I guess the GPIB address is 15? and I can set GPIB by changing switch?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(15,645 Views)

Hi,

I checked the power meter again and it didn't flash GPIB address when starting up. But there is a switch at the back, is this the GPIB address? If it is, I guess the GPIB address is 15? and I can set GPIB by changing switch?

IMG_8775.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(15,644 Views)
Yes, it's 15. As the manual probably says, turn off the instrument before changing the address.
Message 5 of 6
(15,638 Views)

Connect your instrument with a computer with lab view installed .. Open the "Measurement and Automation Explorer" and then go to "Device and interface" .. Click on "GPIB" (should be the first open in the menu .. On clicking the GPIB on the right side a new window will open .. In that window on the top toolbar there will be an option "Scan for instruments" .. Click on it .. As soon as the scan is complete a small window will appear at the bottom which will list your device and the address of ur device .. 

Check screenshot attached

Message 6 of 6
(15,561 Views)