From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to enable MAX to detect 3rd party GPIB card

We are having a hard time figuring out how MAX could detect a PCI-GPIB card from another vendor (TAMS). Please help
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,195 Views)
Max was written only for NI hardware, I believe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,168 Views)
A similar question was asked in the following Discussion Forum thread: How to configure 3rd Party GPIB Device and communicate Using VISA. On a high level, MAX was designed to support NI hardware, but there are a few exceptions, as mentioned in the above thread. If your device is not one of the specified cards, you can create a VISA driver and do RLP communication with your device, but this would not be trivial. What type of GPIB interface are you using? Who is the manufacturer?

Logan S.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,167 Views)
We are using TAMS (test and measurement system inc.) 60488 PCI GPIB card. We were able to find in their websitee a document on how we could configure MAX to communicate with this device. We were able to execute it yesterday and MAX now sees the gpib card and all the instruments it controls.

By the way, thanks for replying to my post.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,158 Views)

Several 3rd party GPIB vendors provide NI-488.2M compatible driver DLL (GPIB-32.DLL).  In this case, you can install NI's GPIB driver (NI-488.2M) and NI-VISA, then swap the installed GPIB-32.DLL with the 3rd party version. NI-MAX and NI-VISA will then work fine if the 3rd party GPIB-32.DLL has almost perfect compatibility.  However, I don't know if you have a valid user license for installing NI's NI-488.2M software package without buying true NI GPIB hardware. 

Try to ask the board vendor if they provide the NI-488.2M compatible DLL.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,147 Views)